Friday, January 4, 2013

5. Save a little, share a lot

So, when I went to put away the "Save for sister" extra winter-wear, I was met with this huge monster of "Way too many hand-me-downs". Don't get me wrong - I am so thankful for friends and family who have over the years shared clothes with us when their kids have out-grown them. We have been very blessed!! In my goal to organize, however, I feel the need to share the love. So here is how I plan to tame this wild pile:

1. Reduce: Most of this pile is stuff that my oldest has out-grown that I'm saving for the other 2 girls. I'm going to guess however, that 2 tubs and 4 bags of girl's size 10-12 is probably more than one little girl can wear...ever. So each size only gets 2 tubs - one for winter clothes, one for spring/summer. Everything that doesn't fit in the tubs goes in the garage sale/donation pile.

2. Reuse (only what they will wear): I think I could fill several tubs with jeans, but my girls don't even like to wear them! So I will only keep 1-2 pair of nice jeans per size and get rid of the rest (hard choices!). I really have to think about what kinds of clothes my kids like wearing before I put them in the tub. Just because it's cute, doesn't mean it will get worn in this house - sorry sweaters, turtlenecks, and itchy material - you're out!

3. Recycle: I hate throwing away useful things - so I'll try to be creative here - ripped or torn clothes, you have 3 options:
A. mending pile - only if it will really be worn again
B. Rag pile - my hubby likes to use old t-shirts and such as rags when working in the garage
C. Craft pile - ripped jeans can be turned into all sorts of cute art projects. (I know I can only keep what will fit in the allotted craft space though).

4. Baby steps - obviously this task will be overwhelming if I try to attempt it all in one sitting - so, my goal will be to sort through one size at a time or spend 1 hour sorting, whatever comes first. I'll keep you updated on my progress!



No comments:

Post a Comment