Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Reflections: Psalm 3

I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the LORD sustained me. Psalm 3:5
 

Many of the psalms David wrote, like this one, are about his cries to the Lord to be saved, rescued, or relieved from his enemies. No matter how desperate his pleas, David always put his full trust and dependence in the Lord.

I strive to have this kind of relationship with God - where I can honestly cry out to Him with every big and small concern in my life, yet fully depend on Him to sustain me and renew me each day.

My youngest child has been the most difficult of my five babies. She's eleven months old and still not sleeping through the night. (I've been blessed that the other kids starting sleeping through the night much sooner.) When I read this verse today, I almost cried for the longing of a full night's rest, but was also somehow comforted by knowing the Lord will sustain me tomorrow despite how much sleep I get tonight. I know this season of life will pass, but it's so exhausting. Thankfully His mercies are new each morning!

Lord, I ask for physical rest and I know even if it doesn't come, you will sustain me and give me the strength and energy I need for each day to love and serve you by caring for my children and managing my home. Thank you for showing your great power in my weak life.


If you want to listen to a great sermon on the danger of self-sufficiency and our need to depend on Christ for all things, listen to:  Seven Dangers Facing the Church: Danger 7 - Self-Sufficiency  by Juan Sanchez, High Pointe Baptist Church, Austin, TX 11/27/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment