Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Homeschooling with Humility

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7 (ESV)

 I thought I was a good teacher, after all I have been homeschooling for 7 years. My oldest daughter learned to read just fine. My third child, a boy, learned to read very easily before starting Kindergarten. But for some reason, my second daughter is really struggling with learning to read in 1st grade this year. As part of a Virtual Academy, my daughter's advisor has to do state standardized testing with her and had serious concerns about her progress. I was humbled to admit that maybe we needed some help and should back up and reteach.
Of course I want what's best for my little girl. I know every child learns differently. I want to work at her pace and make sure that she comprehends the material and feels confident in her abilities. But I took the adviser's concerns as a stab at my ability to teach. I mean, how dare she question my ability and devotion to educate my children? I took it personally. But after some prayer and wise insight from my husband, I had to confess she was not attacking me or my abilities - she had the same desire I did - the best education for my daughter.
Although for awhile I struggled with submitting to the reteaching plan, God's grace has enabled me to admit a need for extra support. I have no doubt that my little one will become an excellent reader, but my real prayer for her is that the Lord will use this refining moment for me to teach her respond to advice and correction with humility and grace.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is the best thing about homeschooling -- the humility it has taught me as a mother. It wasn't easy in the beginning, but each day it does get better.

    I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete